I am putting up a post after a long break. So, I thought to restart with a super easy one. All you need in this recipe is cheese, Italian tomato/ basil sauce and good quality medium size aubergine (eggplant or baingan in Hindi). Italian sauce was also handy for me since it was precooked and kept as frozen cubes.
Serve Grilled Cheesy Aubergine as an appetizer or along with main course. It is quite filling and taste great when served with any warm bread. Continue reading Grilled Cheesy Aubergine
Hummus is no more new to our palette. It is a classic, creamy Middle Eastern dip or spread made of chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, tahini and lemon juice. My method has all these ingredients with addition of fresh basil leaves. Instead of buying tahini sauce from the market, I use sesame seeds. My simple fix for hummus is grounding all the fresh ingredients at one go and adding whipped curd while serving.
Hummus is very versatile. So I prefer making large quantities and store it in deep freezer in the form of cubes.
- Chick peas -1 cup boiled
- Sesame seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Basil leaves – 1/2 cup approximately
- Yogurt or curd – 1 tablespoon, thick curd or hung curd
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger – 1/2 teaspoon chopped
- Green chilly – 1 inch or as per taste
- Garlic – 1 teaspoon chopped
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- Dry roast sesame seeds.
- Grind all the ingredients except curd along with roasted sesame seed.
- Grind to smooth creamy texture by adding 1 or 2 tablespoon of water or as per requirement. I avoid using extra olive oil.
- Hummus is ready to be served. Before serving mix in curd, drizzle olive oil, paprika and finally garnish with sliced olives.
After the step 3, remove hummus in the ice cube tray. Store frozen cubes in a zip lock bag.
To use frozen cubes:
Defrost required quantity of cubes, mix in curd, drizzle olive oil. Finally garnish with paprika and sliced olives just before serving.
Tips & tricks:
- Frozen hummus cubes can be stored in deep freeze for 2 months
- Use of garlic and basil is optional
- Traditionally, curd is not included in the recipe but I feel it gives nice creamy texture to the dip.
- Also, curd gives freshness to the recipe if we are using stored cubes
- Thick curd can be easily replaced by greek curd