I am putting up a post after a long break. So, I thought to restart with a super easy one. All you need in this recipe is cheese, Italian tomato/ basil sauce and good quality medium size aubergine (eggplant or baingan in Hindi). Italian sauce was also handy for me since it was precooked and kept as frozen cubes.
Serve Grilled Cheesy Aubergine as an appetizer or along with main course. It is quite filling and taste great when served with any warm bread.
Cooks in: 30 minutes
Serves: For 3 to 4 person
Cooks in: Grill pan & oven
- Aubergine – 4 medium or 2 large size
- Cheese any – 2 slices
- Italian tomato/basil sauce – 2 cups
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Basil leaves – few for garnishing
- Salt – as per taste
1. Wash and cut aubergine into uniform horizontal slices of almost 00.75 to 1 mm thickness. Arrange and grill them on preheated greased pan. Sprinkle oil and salt. Flip sides for uniform grilling. It takes roughly 10 minutes
2. Grease oven proof serving dish and arrange grilled pieces. Top each piece of aubergine individually with sauce and finely with sliced cheese
3. Drizzle oil and garnish with basil leaves ( I missed doing it ) and bake in preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes or till cheese melts.
4. Serve hot
Tips & Tricks:
- Select good quality even size pulpy aubergine
- Soak sliced uncooked aubergine in water or immediately put them for grilling. It changes color if left unattended
- Any type of cheese can be used.
- You can replace slice cheese to grated cheese. I used it because it was convenient for me
- Make sure cheese melts while baking
- You can use any sauce of your choice
- Use of herb will enhance taste
- You can also fix toasted open sandwich from the leftover