Very interesting assemble of healthy ingredients – Cottage cheese, vegetables and basil pesto… a great option for vegetarians. These steaks are easy to make with available ingredients. I used home made basil pesto (we can also use ready bottled one) and combined it with stir fry veggies. Cottage cheese steaks with vegetables is quite filling, it can be served as a main course or cut them into small pieces to enjoy it as a starter.
Serving: for 2
Cooking time: 40 minutes
To cook in: Grill, frying pan, skillet or any flat bottom pan
- Cottage cheese – 500 grams
- Pesto – 4 tablespoons
- Vegetables – 4 cups chopped lengthwise. Mix of red yellow and green bell pepper, zucchini, baby corn, onion or any vegetable of choice
- Soy sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Tomato Sauce – 2 tablespoons
- Vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilly sauce – 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Salt and black pepper – as per taste
- Stir fry sliced onion on high flame for a minute. Add all the other vegetables and toss them for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the heat. Prepare sauce by mixing vinegar, tomato sauce, soy sauce and red chilly sauce. Add sauce, salt and pepper to the cold stir fried veggies. Toss gently, remove and keep aside.
- Cut cottage cheese slab horizontally so that you have a slice of about 1/2 an inch thickness. I made 4 inch square slice of 1/2 inch thickness. Using same pan and one tablespoon of oil, grill slices on one side and apply pesto evenly on the other side.
- Once toasted, switch off the heat and remove the slices on serving plate. Top them with stir fried vegetables and serve hot.
Tips & Tricks:
- Use any available vegetables
- Keep vegetables little crunchy, it taste better
- Do not over cook vegetables or else they will loose color, glaze and freshness
- Add zucchini in the last because it cooks really fast
- Add salt only when veggies are cold otherwise it will loose moisture and crunchiness
- Keep steaks and veggies ready, just warm them and arrange before serving
- Do not grill pesto side of the cottage cheese slice
- Shape and size of the slice really doesn’t matter because it depends on the shape of the cheese slab but thickness should be maintain
- Plating herb rice with steaks makes it a real wholesome treat