Simple, easy to make salad with very distinct peppery flavored arugula leaves and juicy sweet apples. I added some candied walnuts for crunchiness. And in dressing; I used roasted sesame seeds. Although, this was my first try but It turned out quite tasty with perfect sweet and sour taste.
Time taken: 15 minutes
Serving portion: Enough for 2
- Arugula leaves – 4 cups tender leaves
- Apple – 1/2 big or 1 if small, thinly sliced
- Walnut – 2 tablespoons chopped
- Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
For Dressing: Recipe given is for extra quantity to store
- Sesame seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil – 1-1/2 tablespoons
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- White vinegar – 1-1/2 tablespoons
- Lime juice – 1 teaspoon
- Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Dry roast sesame seeds in frying pan or in any flat bottom pan till crisp & pale pink in color
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a blender including sesame
- Caramelize walnuts in melted sugar till brown and candied.
- Now, wash and clean arugula leaves. wash it in ice cold water to make further crunchier.
- Thinly slice apple with skin.
- For making salad – drain cold water completely from the leaves. Add sliced apple and caramelized walnuts. Drizzle two tablespoons of dressing, Toss and serve cold.
Tips & Tricks:
- Chop walnuts into small pieces before caramelizing
- It is important to buy tender salad leaves.
- If leaves are big then break them into half
- Use green or golden apple. They are juicy and doesn’t change color after chopping
- I used Red apple, which was solid didn’t change color and added color to the salad
- Keep everything ready and arrange just before serving
- Add dressing before serving or else leaves will turn soft
- Use few spinach leaves, it makes salad crunchy and less peppery