Falafel with Pita bread is an all time favorite, Middle Eastern delight. I made some small changes to make it easy to serve as cocktail bites. Instead of pita bread I used mini burgers and replaced chick peas falafel with lentil fritters since I keep them frozen. Added hummus (again ready and frozen), salad, green chutney and bites are ready. Serve it as evening snack or as an appetizer.
Shortly, I will provide my recipe for cook & store lentil fritters and hummus in separate post.
Recipe: for 6 pieces
Cooking & preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook in: Oven or frying pan
- Burgers – 6 small cocktail size.
- Falafel balls or lentil fritters- 6 pieces or 3 if bigger than the burger size
- Hummus – 6 teaspoons
- Green chutney – 3 teaspoons
- Lettuce leaves – 1 cup, broken
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Shallow fry lentil fritters on frying pan. Break them in to small pieces.
- Slit burgers into half. Lightly toast all the burger halves in preheated oven.
- Apply 1/2 teaspoon of green chutney on each half. Now, place salad leaves and broken fritters on one half. Top it with 1 teaspoon helping of hummus. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Place another half burger to complete the arrangement.
- Falafel Bites are ready to be served. Just warm them little in preheated oven or microwave just before serving.
Tips & Tricks:
- Add little garlic chutney to pep up the taste
- We can add a slice of raw onion for extra flavor
- Keep burgers ready and warm them before serving
- It is advisable to add salad leave after warming the burgers, just before serving so it retains it’s crunchiness