It has been long since I last put up my post….actually it seems like starting new. Got quite tied up with Diwali festivities, vacations and other activities focusing home and family. So I thought to start with simple salad with beautiful mixture of colours and textures. I had all the ingredients ready with me including dressing. I only had to caramelise walnuts to give crunchy and sweet taste to salad.
Takes: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 person
Need: Non stick pan for caramelising walnuts, a large mixing bowl
- Pear – 1 large
- Walnuts – 1/2 cup
- Rocket salad Leaves or any Greens available – 3 cups trimmed and thickly chopped
- Salad Dressing – 2 tablespoons. Recipe is given below
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Butter – 1 teaspoon melted
Ingredients For Dressing : Prepare and store
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Vinegar – 2 tablespoons
- Honey – 2 tablespoons
- Sugar Powder – 1 teaspoon
- lime Juice – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Dijon Mustard – 1 teaspoon ( or use any with little grains)
- To caramelise walnuts -Melt butter in a pan. Add sugar and cook till it melts and turns gold. Add walnuts and stir in sugar syrup till coated and candied,
- Cut pear into thin long slices.
- Now mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Keep in refrigerator.
- Serve cold. Drizzle dressing just before serving.
To make And Store Salad Dressing :
Combine all the ingredients in a screw top jar, shake until well mixed. Store in refrigerator.
Tips & Tricks:
- This is a classic salad that can be served as a light meal on its own or can be used as a accompaniment
- Serve cold for crunchy salad
- Soak leaves in ice cold water before adding to salad for that extra crisp
- Slice pear just before use or else it will turn pinkish if kept for long.
- In case you want to prepare in advance then coat the diced pears with lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown
- Add candied walnuts just before serving