This one is my favourite recipe..baked,crunchy,creative and tasty. First,I tasted these at my friends place with red cabbage and cheese filling. I loved the concept. At home, I tried with a Mexican filling since red beans and salsa was ready with me and it turned out quite tasty. It can be served with options of different fillings – stir fry veggies with red chilly sauce, chick pea salad with sweet chutney, hummus with mini falafal bites…just be innovative with whatever is available in the kitchen.
I am giving recipe for 12 cups with Mexican filling.
Serve as: Appetizer
Preparation time: 10mins
Baking time: 10 mins
Baking Container: muffin cups tray or oven proof small bowls
- Spring roll sheets – 6 sheets. One sheet makes two cups. These sheets are easily available in stores in frozen section
- Red beans – 12 teaspoons. Cooked and little mashed ( mexican style available in stores)
- Salsa sauce – 6 teaspoons or as per taste
- Mix vegetables – 6 teaspoons finely chopped – broccoli, zuccuni, onion,red & yellow capsicum & baby corn or as per choice
- Cheese – 4 teaspooons grated or as per taste
- Refined flour (maida ) – 1 teaspoon mix in 1 teaspoon of water
- Olive oil – 1 teaspoon
- Cut four equal squares from one spring roll sheet. Likewise, cut remaining 5 sheets to get 24 small squares. Two squares will make one cup.
- Make glue type paste by mixing flour & water.
- Stir fry vegetables in oil.
- Assemble two squares in crisscross (X) pattern. Apply little flour paste in between the center of the two sheets, just enough to hold them together.
- Put one teaspoon of beans in the center of the crisscrossed sheets. Insert them in to a muffin cup mold. Top it with 1/2 teaspoon of salsa, stir fried vegetables and cheese.
- Likewise, prepare all the cups in the muffin tray and bake them in preheated oven for 10 mins.
- Fringes of the cup will turn into beautiful pink colour after baking.
Remove tray from the oven. Once cold remove cups from the molds.Crunchy cups are ready to be served.
Tips & Tricks :
- It is important to make proper crisscross pattern to get proper fringes
- Do not apply too much flour paste
- Main filling or the first filling should not be very moist or watery otherwise cups will remain soggy in the center making it difficult to hold and serve.
- Quantity of filling can be adjusted as per the taste.