Theses dumplings are similar to Paneer or Cottage Cheese Kofta. Koftas are very popular as an Indian main course but, unfortunately, they are generally deep-fried. I’ve tried to make it healthier by steaming them with the same ingredients. It turned out quiet tasty and is much easier to make. I added spinach to simply make it more nutritive and colourful. It can be served with chapatis, nan or any Indian bread.
Serving size : For 2
To cook : In steamer
Cooking time : 20 mins
- Cottage cheese (Paneer ) – 2 cups grated or crumpled
- Spinach – 1 cup finely chopped
- Potato – 1/2 cup boiled & mashed (optional)
- Corn flour – 1 tablespoon
- Baking powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Green chilly – 1 inch piece finely chopped or as per taste
- Zesty tomato onion sauce – 6 cubes from my freezer friendly recipe
- Salt as per taste, green coriander for garnishing
- Remove water from spinach by sprinkling little salt on chopped spinach. Leave it aside for 5 mins then squeeze out water. Or simply blanch the spinach.
- Start heating steamer.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients including squeezed spinach except zesty tomato sauce.
- Make small balls or dumpling of the mixture by rolling in our palms. Place them in preheated steamer for 10 mins. Dumpling will swell in size once cooked.
- Remove from steamer and arrange in a serving bowl or tray. Adjust water consistency of zesty tomato sauce or puree. Heat it and pour over the dumpling before serving.
Garnish with fresh chopped coriander. Cottage cheese spinach dumplings are ready to serve.
Tips & Tricks :
- We can add any vegetables in the dumpling just ensure that they are boiled before adding or else they will make dumpling soggy with their water content.
- Instead of flour, soaked and squeezed bread slice or 2 teaspoon of bread crumps can also be used. Basically, these ingredients are added to hold the crumpled cottage cheese or Paneer together.
- Texture of dumpling should be smooth.
- Dumpling can be topped with any sauce or puree.
- Sprinkle chat masala and serve them without sauce with green mint chutney or top them with red chilly sauce.