This is my favourite summer salad. It is colourful, healthy and easy to make twist to the traditional Watermelon Feta salad. I switched feta cheese with cottage cheese and rocket leaves with iceberg salad leaves. Reason – these ingredients have more shelf life and are easy to sourse; so you are more likely to be ready to put this together.
Feel free to be creative with your presentation – you can make discs, triangles and even simple slabs.
Makes one sandwich enough for 2 persons
- Watermelon – 2 round similar slices of 1 inch thickness, without skin
- Cottage cheese – app. 1/2 cup. Depends on the diameter of Watermelon
- Balsamic Vinegar – app. 2 tablespoons. Depends on the size of Watermelon
- Pine nuts – app 1 tablespoon roasted. Depends on the size of Watermelon
- Iceberg lettuce – app. 2 cups cold & torn in to big pieces
- Salt & Pepper – as per taste
- Mint leaves for garnishing
- Arrange one slice of watermelon on a plate and layer it with cottage cheese, icegerg lettuce and roasted pine nuts.
- Sprinkle pepper. Drizzle balsamic vinegar.
- Now, arrange second round slice of watermelon over the cottage cheese layer.Drizzle Balsamic vinegar over the slice.
- Garnish with mint leaves, balsamice vinegar and pine nuts.
Serve chilled. Sprinkle salt and pepper before serving.
Preparation time – 10 mins
- Remember to sprinkle the salt ONLY while serving or else the watermelon will loose its water content making it soggy/ soft
- Instead of pine nuts, we can also use almonds or walnuts
- Add some mint leaves to the layer for extra freshness to the salad
- For extra servings, prepare more rounds in similar way